Thursday, August 8, 2013

Out with the Old

In with the 'everything is new what the heck is happening with my life?!'

OK, so maybe that's an exaggeration. But it does explain a wee bit why I've been MIA on this thing forever and a day. For some reason, when I'm trying to process things, I can't blog. I can write in a journal maybe, but mostly, I just think. I think of lots of things that I want to blog about, or journal about, or talk about...but then I just think some more. Finally, one day, it all comes spilling out. Or, rather, in a few days, and in spurts.

It's pretty much public knowledge where we live, but for the sake of my husband's job, we haven't said anything too specific out on the internet (read: Facebook) and still aren't. We'd like him to still have a job til we move. Oh, what was that, you say? Move? Yes. We're moving, Lord willing. To Iowa. The fact that I just typed that is possibly one of the strangest things I've ever done.

Honestly, I think it started around here. I didn't realize it then, but looking back, something was brewing. When we visited my family last August, we started talking 'what ifs'. I was really more 'what if' for a long time. Jim was a lot more serious a lot more quickly. It took a lot of thought, a lot of prayer, and a lot of breaking on my part. I couldn't imagine leaving our life here: our friends, our church, my job. That last one was honestly the hardest to let go of. I've moved a lot in my life, so am used to maintaining long distance friendships and resettling. But my job is something I am oddly attached to, and leaving it would mean not only leaving a company I love, but possibly a career, and for a lot of unknowns. I'll have a whole different post about that one.

But finally, I realized that it's what we're supposed to do. There are lots of reasons behind it - a need to slow down, a calling to focus more on our family right now, a desire to be near my extended family. But the overarching theme is really just that we truly feel it's where God is leading us. I have a feeling it's for a lot of reasons we don't even know about yet - more than just the Amish neighbors and chickens. :)

So, it's happening. Our house is for sale. My last day of work is September 12th. That's about all we really know right now. From there, it's a new adventure. Maybe this is our version of the '7 year itch' (our anniversary is next week). Who knows? What I do know, (and what gives me peace when I start silently freaking out) is that God goes before us, and that His plans for us are far greater than whatever we can imagine. I'm excited to discover them!

 (this is Iowa, FYI)


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Alisha - that's a big itch!

    Excited to hear that you are coming back to our neck of the woods - maybe I will actually see you in person sometime.

    Praying for you and Jim (and Graham!) as you prepare to leave what is known and comfortable and journey toward what God would have for you.

    Much love,
    Abbie

    P.S. Madison seems like the Midwestern version of where you live, with lots of "shop local" and "whole food" tendencies, and tons of cute boutique restaurants. If you need a weekend away from Iowa, you know. :)

    ReplyDelete