Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Mom Style

So I'm still going to do a capsule wardrobe post, but first, I need to do laundry. The situation is a bit dire. I figure I should actually have clothes to show you if I'm going to do a post about them. Moving on...

As a pre-cursor to that post, I started thinking about styles, trends, etc. I'm very much a classic-meets-modern kind of person. Neutrals are my best friend, and if I go crazy with color, it's probably like a deep plum or an olive green. I'm SO exciting. I actually own one salmon/orange-ish shirt, which is completely out of character for me; I bought it as a back-up to my Chicago bears t-shirt to wear on game days. Fans gotta represent.

I don't do a lot of crazy trendy things, but I did start to think about current trends and realized something: I'm pretty sure a mom of littles (like under 5) came up with most of these trends and managed to make them 'cool'. To that mom, I say thank you. I can appear 'trendy' without much effort. I give you the following examples...

1) Top Knot. This is a mom's best friend. I frequently think this thought: 'How many days can I feasibly go without washing my hair?' The top knot is the answer. Also in the hair category....
Do you think that hair is washed? Ha!

2) Bangs. I can easily wash and dry only my bangs, and the rest of my hair can go into a top knot, and boom. Instant trendy style. Look at me, so fashionable. So unshowered. And for the days you do attempt something...
This in honor of a NEW SEASON OF GILMORE GIRLS?! I can't even.

3) The 'beachy waves' look. I'm convinced this started as a mom who was trying to do her hair, but was interrupted multiple times and finally just gave up. It was half-curled, but someone complimented her, and that was the start.
Easy, as in: Start curling hair. Be interrupted 1200 times. Just give up. 

4) High-waisted jeans. Mommy tummy. Enough said.
OK, we know this lady doesn't have a belly...or does she?? Thanks to the jeans, we'll never know.

5) The 'loose flowy shirt over skinny jeans' trend. Again, the mommy tummy. Play up the best assets, people.
Oh you know, just being my usual rockstar self. I have all the trends. Or in other words, I have kids.

6) The 'no-makeup makeup'. I love this one. Because you know it started with a mom forgetting to take off yesterday's makeup and going out with whatever was leftover, but someone stopped and said oh! So natural! So light! We need to invent a 30 minute process to make this happen! And she just laughed.
I still can't get over the tutorials for this.

7) The big sunglasses/bright lipstick look. This is the classic 'I haven't slept, I didn't have time to get ready, but I'm still totally put together' mom look.
Also, that chic hair? You know it's not washed, and that wet look is probably grease.

8) The cross body bag/backpack trend. We need our hands to be free, and can't have something falling off our shoulders. These both solve this problem.
When I found this picture I also found myself thinking, "I need this bag."

9) Leggings. It's like yoga pants stepped up a notch. What's not to love?
She looks stylish. She feels like she's in pajamas. Except this shoes, which brings me to...

10) Dress flats. Because when I try to walk in heels while carrying a baby, it almost never turns out well.
No lie, I think I own three of the exact styles pictured here.

What other trends do you think were inspired by moms? I'm betting all of them. Here's to working with what you've got, making it cool, and owning it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment