Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Boycotting Mama?

I'm almost nervous to write this. Scratch that - I am nervous. A) because it's controversial and B) because it's not really the normal thing I write about on this blog. Oh well, here we go!

If you know me very well, you know I enjoy politics, and a good political debate/discussion. When I had the opportunity to go lobby on Capitol Hill a few weeks ago, I was possibly as excited as a kid going to Disney for the first time (I say possibly, because I've actually never been to Disney. I know, I know. Poor, deprived farm girl. Except I don't really care that much). Also, the normal Americanized Baptistic "Republican = Christian" mindset that tends to permeate much of our society and our churches annoys me to no end, so bring up a politician, gay marriage, and a chicken sandwich and you've got me hooked.

Let's start by getting this out of the way: I believe in marriage between a man and a woman, period. I don't think marriage is marriage if it's between a man and a man or a woman and a woman. If you'd like me to expound on why, feel free to ask me personally and I'll gladly discuss it with you! I also believe in a free market and free speech, so whether you and I agree or not, we both have every right to not only share our opinions, but build a business where we choose, how we choose, and use the profits from that business as we wish. And that, my friends, is why the fact that there is even a debate happening surrounding the Chick-Fil-A controversy seems utterly ridiculous.

First, the mayor of Boston and whoever else wanted to boycott CFA (I'm lazy, sorry) for what their owner said is not an idiot, and deserve respect for their position, but they did make a statement that was not well thought-out. It's ironic, really. They wanted to ban the restaurant from their city for the exact same thing they were doing - expressing their opinion. Apparently it's only OK for them to do that if they agree with you...I'll make a mental note of that. So, I get it. I get the free speech part of it and even posted a link to something Mike Huckabee had written regarding the fact that it's about free speech and the right to express your beliefs. At the time, I didn't really know much about the whole August 1st "Let's go Eat Chicken Day!" (my name for it). Honestly, if you're planning on going in support of free speech, I don't think that's a bad thing, as it's one of the major rights we possess.

Here's where my issue lies: why is this particular instance about free speech? And is it really about free speech? Because, all of a sudden, the Christian (or Republican...sometimes the labels are inaccurately interchangeable) community at large is all "I support Chick-Fil-A!" and "Free Speech for Americans!" But, if it were really about that, why aren't we all "I'm going to Starbucks because they support gay marriage!" and "Breast Cancer Awareness rocks because they expressed their opinion. Free speech all the way!"....? I think it's because it's an easy guise; a cover for saying what we really think: "They can't bash what we believe. They can't ban us for that. I can publicly boycott whatever company I want because they choose to do with their money things I don't agree with, but you want to do that to ME and MY beliefs?? Uh-uh. No.way." But we make it look all pretty like "I love free speech!" I have much more respect for you if you can be honest about your motives, (myself included because I do it too, all the time!) and be consistent. If it's really about free speech then I better see you at Chick-Fil-A with a Starbucks latte in hand. If it's not, then say it's not.

But, if it's not, and it really is because you're offended, then maybe stop and ask yourself a question: Is this the best way to get my point across? Is showing my support in this way the best way to show the love of Christ? Because if our reason for going is to stand up for our beliefs, joining in an already heated debate probably isn't going to win anyone over. I don't know about you, but if someone I disagree with joins a huge throng of people and angrily chomps a chicken sandwich, I'm not prone to want to listen to them. But, if said person that I disagree with bought a chicken sandwich for themselves, brought me one, and invited me to sit down and have an open heart-to-heart talk, I'd at the very least be up for talking. If nothing else, because, hey, I like chicken.

So, before we start boycotting things we disagree with, or very publicly supporting businesses because we agree with them, maybe we should take a different approach. Maybe we should consider, I don't know...actually talking to the people we don't agree with. Write the mayor of Boston a sincere. respectful letter. Better yet, befriend some people in your own community with whom you don't agree. Wasn't Jesus called a glutton and a drunkard? I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was hanging out with other people who only shared His beliefs. He didn't participate in their behavior, and He openly, honestly and lovingly shared why it was wrong, but He didn't waltz into their house eating a delicious box of waffle fries in spite either.

Besides, if we're really going to be consistent about only supporting businesses that line up with our beliefs, well...stop shopping at Wal-Mart, don't buy American-made cars, don't buy almost any major brand of food/clothes/toiletries, and ask every farmer at the farmer's market where they spend their money, then go live in a commune and grow our own food (wait...that doesn't sound horrible...). But seriously, to borrow a political term, go grassroots and start with your neighbor, or the guy walking downtown, or the lady next to you in the grocery aisle. Because we're called to reach people. And people, my friends, are right next door.

OK, I'm done. And I'm posting it to Facebook. And I might get flack for it. But that's OK, because really, it's only about free speech, right? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment